The Business - MusicNSW

Welcome to our business related FAQs. These are Frequently Asked Questions. Got one that’s not on here? Email us.

//How do I register a business name?

In order to carry on a business in NSW, you must register your business’ name with the ASIC.  To register, search for, renew, cancel or make changes to your business name head here.

Before you register a business name, you will need to obtain an ABN. You can do so through the ABR by heading here.

You can find more information on how to register a business name by heading here.

Please note that registering a Business Name will not give you any exclusive rights to that name. So any other person that wants to use it is legally fine to do so. If you want exclusive rights, you should register the name as a trade mark through IP Australia.

//International Visas and Taxation

– a Guide for Performing Arts Organisations in Australia and New Zealand is an online resource for performing arts companies touring internationally. It aims to ease the process of applying for visas and complying with taxation regulations with case studies demonstrating practical tips for success.

It focuses on the regions identified by Australian and New Zealand performing arts companies as high priorities:
• Australia and New Zealand
• Asia – China, Hong Kong, Japan, Republic of Korea, Macau, Singapore, Taiwan
• Europe – Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom
• Latin America – Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico
• North America – Canada and the United States of America

The guide is available now on the Australia Council website. You can also chat to Sounds Australia about touring overseas, they are able to provide advice.

//The tax stuff

We’ve developed a tax pack with the Australian Music Industry Network (AMIN) which should give you some insight as to how your music making, and any income derived from it, can effect your tax. Find it here.