Image: Paigge Warton
MusicNSW’s Regional Music Officer program rolls out across new regions of NSW in 2021. If you live and work in regional NSW and are passionate about music, apply now and join the team!
MusicNSW’s Regional Music Officer (RMO) pilot program has been running across Southern NSW since early 2019. In its pilot phase, the program contracted three local music champions to be brokers within their regions on behalf of MusicNSW; to establish relationships between councils, venues, artists, schools and conservatoriums and build capacity in their local industries.
With the success of the pilot, the RMO Program is now ready to be rolled out in more regions across NSW, and MusicNSW is seeking four new Regional Music Officers for 2021. The new roles will be 3-days per week over a twelve month period, and will include training and support from MusicNSW.
Working with and reporting to MusicNSW, each RMO will provide advice, support and resources to artists and industry based in regional areas who might not otherwise have access to MusicNSW’s services.
If you’re based in any of the following Regional Art Network Development Organisation (RADO) areas, we want to hear from you. Don't know your RADO region? Look it up HERE.
- Arts North West
- Arts Mid North Coast
- Arts Outwest
- Arts Northern Rivers
- To empower, develop and connect regional musicians, industry and infrastructure
- To ensure regional music communities have access to professional development and funding opportunities
- Grow opportunities and activities for local music industry professionals
- Develop and support existing regional touring networks
- Ensure regional music communities have a voice and are connected to local, state and federal advocacy
- Help grow access to live original music for young people (12-25)
- Work with councils, venues, schools, conservatoriums, RADO’s and other organisations to increase performance opportunities for locals artists
Applications Open: Tuesday 9 March
Applications Close: Sunday 28 March, 12am Midnight (AEDT)
RMO contract dates: 3 days per week (4 days for Arts North West), for a fixed term of 1 year April 2021 – March 2022
Successful candidates will be announced in April 2021
Regional Music Officer
3 days per week, for a total of 22.5 hours (4 days + 30 hrs for Arts North West).
This role will also require you to occasionally work during evenings and weekends.. This will be part of your 22.5 hours.
$65k, pro rata + superannuation.
Place of Work:
Each Officer will have a set geographic area to oversee. Officers will work between their RADO office (where one exists), and autonomously from a regional location (home office, share office or other agreed location).
Some travel is necessary as part of this role, both within the set geographic area, and possibly other areas of NSW (regional locations and Sydney).
All accommodation and travel expenses will be covered by MusicNSW, including modest per diems and petrol expenses. Travel dates will be scheduled in advance, and not total more than 12 overnight stays for the 12 month period.
Regional Music Officers will
- Coordinate and deliver networking and professional development events for local industry and artists
- In partnership with other RMOs, establish a touring network with local live music venues
- Help to deliver core MusicNSW programs regionally, such as Sound Advice and the Regional Music Crawl
- Build and maintain local industry and artist databases
- Complete regular live music censuses for assigned areas
- Facilitate community networking through recommendations, introductions and meet ’n’ greet events.
To apply you must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Have lived in regional NSW for a minimum of 12 months. Preference will be given to candidates living in the nominated regions.
- Have your full driver’s licence and regular easy access to a car
- Experience working in creative industries (music, arts, theatre or other)
- Demonstrated knowledge of the contemporary music sector
- Demonstrated experience engaging and working with a wide range of stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Existing knowledge and experience within your local music scene
- Ability to collaborate and work in a team environment
- Ability to work remotely and independently, with a diligent work ethic
- Highly proficient computer skills
- Ability to work to timelines and deadlines
- Experience with Google suite including G-Drive, Sheets and Docs
- Experience with live-streaming events
- Event coordination experience
- Ability to host and lead workshops and masterclass sessions
- Working with children check
- Prior project management experience within an arts or music context
Submitting and Editing
The application form can be edited before submission until Sunday 28 March 2021 12am MIDNIGHT when submissions close and no further submissions or edits will be accepted after this time.
Advice on your application
If you have any further questions about the program you can email email@example.com or call the office on (02) 9953 5279.
Notification of your application
All applicants will be notified in writing of the outcome of their application by the end of April 2021.
The Regional Music Officer program is
supported by Create NSW.